Thursday, February 20, 2014

To Keep Me Honest

I've signed up for an Olympic distance Triathlon in May.

This will be a 6.2 mile run, 1500 yard swim, and 24 mile bike. I'm not concerned about the run or swim; in recent workouts I've proven to myself I can already do this in succession. However, the bike terrifies me. For some reason I have an anxiety I will have to surpass. Spinning is something I love but road biking is a new fear for me, for reasons I cannot quite identify. Luckily (maybe?), with the cold weather, the tread on the road isn't something I have to face directly for a few more weeks yet.

Last year you may recall I ran the Pittsburgh half marathon. It was an event I trained endlessly for and I haven't been more proud of myself in a long time. However I didn't really think running the marathon again would keep me in the gym; I'm not excited about it and somewhere this winter I lost the drive to train on the treadmill. I wanted a new challenge; working more muscles in my body than just my legs. Recently I have found I was more excited about bike/swimming workouts. Combined with encouragement from my coworker, I found the triathlon and enrolled. I've already begun training and I feel differently about this event. Other than the additional expenses (wetsuit, bike) I'm loving this new motivation.

Not to mention, I have four weddings this summer. Helloooo bridesmaids dress!


No comments: