Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Triumph Brewing & Brooklyn Beer Dinner : Leap Day was a Raging Success

The title of this post accurately depicts the story of my leap day: a raging success.

Raging, that is a weird word. It describes a great many items. But in terms of leap day, it is used as 'epic' or 'of great magnitude'.

Let's start at the beginning: Pancakes. I began my day with pancakes. Delicious pancakes on an otherwise rainy and cold leap day. Yes - it's the day after National Pancake Day - so what. The pancakes were phenomenal. You can't put up an argument against good pancakes. Period.

Later, I went to Triumph Brewery in New Hope. They threw a Leap Day party like no other. $2.29 beers and 29c wings. I had a Jewish Rye beer (it really tasted like a piece of rye bread) and a Coffee & Cream Stout. Honestly, with this deal, any day instantly becomes a good day.


Not to mention, I always love the chalk art at Triumph.

I came home and relaxed for a bit. Listened to the rain and enjoyed the afternoon. Caught up on some quality daytime TV.

But then at night, the big event. The Brooklyn Brewery Beer Dinner. It was a sold out show at the local tavern. Five courses & five beers.

I was seated at a mismatched long table with eleven other people. There were thirty-two seats at the dinner. All ages were mixed; across from me was a husband and wife with their two sons, next to me was a father and a son, on the other side was a husband and wife in their seventies, and way down on the other side was a group of friends. All at the same table. For the first time I wasn't the youngest. Not surprisingly, men outnumbered the women.

We were introduced to the beers, each in succession, and allowed refills if we requested. The alcohol content was >8% for each beer, however, so I kept myself in check (unfortunately, in New Jersey, Thursday is still considered as part of the work week).

First off was the Lager with homemade soft pretzels and three different dips. Spicy!


Next was Salmon with a honey glaze and Local #1. The salmon was perfect, and the sweetness of the Local #1 was very complimenting.


Water carafe break. I feel like this should be an Untappd check in option. Hydration is important.


Third was a rack of ribs, vegetables, and Brooklyn's limited edition brewer's reserve 'The Companion'. So lucky to be able to taste this on tap - it's very rare to find this, and quantities are nearly extinct now as it is. And the ribs! Marinated overnight in a beer-based sauce; melt in your mouth. Many of my fellow beer dinner mates took home a growler of this brew.

At this point my fellow table-mate explained asparagus is likely to be good this year due to the warm winter and early spring.


Fourth was potatoes, mushrooms, Local #2, and --- wait for it ---- KANGAROO. I'm not kidding. Man, that stuff is chewy, even when cooked flawlessly as it was. Not so much gamey, but there was a grittiness to it that was a little strange.


Finally, an old familiar face (well, these days, anyway) was the chocolate stout with ice cream. Call me crazy, but I like these beer floats.

(Before mixing & after mixing it all up)

Great company and great food. The table really became a community by the end, all of us chatting (which was very welcome to someone like me, who went by myself) and exchanging Untappd accounts. The food was fantastic and our host from Brooklyn Brewery, Miles, was great at narrating us through the pairings. Not to mention, I got a sweet glass that will be cherished provided that it does not break.

FeBREWary & Leap Beers finish with a bang. Your move, March.

1 comment:

Barson said...

THAT IS EPIC! I AM SO JEALOUS! It sounds SO fun!