Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mühlheim, Germany (part 1)

We stayed outside of Frankfurt, near the town of Mühlheim, in the small town of Lämmerspiel. By the end of three days I knew half of the town and where everything was. I don't speak German.

If you recall, at the very beginning I got out of the taxi and within five minutes I met a local woman. After escaping her, we went inside to our hotel room.

As an old building, the hotel smelled musty. The decor offered a lot of character to the hotel through unique artwork and old fashioned architecture. The windows in the room were very bizarre - huge windows where if you turned the handle down it was in lock, if you turned it horizontal you could pull the window out (as if the hinges were on the right), if you turned the handle up you could pull the window out from the top (as if the hinges were on the bottom). It was an interesting, enjoyable place.


Of course though, I convinced myself it was haunted. There is no evidence of this whatsoever. Something about Europe and thousands of years of establishment is overwhelming. To realize how many people had been there before I was was bewildering.

We tossed our stuff in the room. It was 8am Germany time, 2am East Coast US. We were tired and I was slightly hungover after our plane ride allowed unlimited alcohol.

Still, we bucked up and headed outside. Across the street was the Bärferei Backerei which turned out to be very tasty. We got breakfast there and toured the town. A number of small beer houses were on the small street. A florist was at the end of one block, a Chinese/Thai food place at the end of another, and a grocery store and the hotel in the middle. And that was all.

We headed back in after completing the tour and noticed the Germans just park anywhere they please - very frequently completely on the curb. It appears this is accepted here. Jonaid wondered how they ever know which park job was done while intoxicated, since they all appear to be horrendous.

And then we passed out. We were exhausted. I picked up a few supplies from the grocery store and a large Schwarzbier for 0.85 euros.

The next day JLo was busy so I toured around solo. The bus system was easy enough to figure out, so I rode into downtown Mühlheim. The center of town seems to be very run down - lots of graffitti and not well taken care of. A local explained few of the inhabitants of the downtown Mühlheim are actually German, that many are Turkish immigrants. That explains why so few people I encountered spoke English - apparently, because there German itself is a second language. Still, I found a farmer's market where everyone was quite friendly. A woman hard boiled her eggs and dyed them. I sneezed as I walked around and someone yelled "Gezundheit". The town was very welcoming.


No comments: