Thursday, September 22, 2011

Marlyand Wine Festival (vol. 2)

Maryland Wine Festival round two. Because my first experience was just that good. And just like last year, we visited every wine tent.


Pulling on jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie on top, I cranked the heat as JLo and I hit the foggy highway at the crack of dawn. Fall certainly has come early this year. We fueled up on Dunkin Donuts coffee (pumpkin is back!!) and after encountering a caravan of cars from the 1940s we made it to the wine.

Somehow we acquired rock-star parking right at the front of the gates. The man ID-ing us saw our NJ licenses and commented, "I'm always amazed when I see people from so many different states." Rumor has it there has been at least one festival attendee from all fifty states and some foreign countries. After heading in, JLo got some cash from an ATM that reminded me somewhat of the fortune machine in the movie Big.

To our surprise it started raining. And then it started raining harder. It absolutely downpoured when we were at Bordeleau Vineyards, amidst trying their three chardonnays (unoaked, oaked, and 'very oaked' as described by their WP). And after awhile we stopped noticing.

Last year I wrote copious notes at every tent. This year, we did the wineries in reverse order, I wrote down much less, but for the most part our impressions from last year stood true. Onward to the acronyms: MM = Mum Mum, UM = Uncle Michael, WP = Wine Pourer/Host

MM, UM, JLo, Myself

We reunited with some old flames (Cassinelli's Chocolate Kiss... And Jonaid exclaiming the Jealous Mistress of Knob Hall has "struck again") and came across some new experiences (A 'Festivus' for the Rest of Us at DeJon, Meeting the winemaker at Great Shoals). Linganore Winecellars was proudly displaying the American flag, a sight that is always welcoming. And sipping the fruity wines at Far Eastern Shore had me thinking I could drink that with my breakfast toast.

UM found his namesake's holy-grail in St. Michael's Winery and we concluded if he lived there, Tracy could never get angry at him. Is it blasphemous to say the Saint could have wine communion every day? Perhaps some days in excess is sinful.

We made the best of the rain by jokingly rinsing our glasses out with the downpours. Not bad for a day where my grandmother started drinking at 11:35am (yes, we clocked it!). We picked up a few bottles from our favorite stops, grabbed some Big Zin from Basignani for those who watered plants while we were away at Wine Fest, and hit up a food tent that made grilled-cheese-with-crab. Yes, I said it, a grilled cheese with crab on it. Grilled cheese will never be the same.

Hi Terrapin Station Merlot! I'm Carinne! Let's follow one another on Twitter

We learned some new things this year, like how Orange Muscat came to exist at Cascia as it is their version of a 'sweet wine' to appease the masses at festivals. The kind WP at Harford taught MM the correct pronunciation of Viogner (vee-yawn-yay, if you didn't know. Which of course you did.). I pulled on the great Grape Suit from Dove Valley - very exciting and a fantastic new profile picture if I do say so myself. Jonaid had a delicious Apple Dumpling from a farm stand and my grandmother greatly enjoyed the crafts all around.

A heartwarming part of the day was when we saw a lifesaver mint on the ground right in front of the Little Ashby tent. My grandfather, Poppy, would always give those out to anyone and everyone. As his favorite drink was a chardonnay, we took that as a sign, and marched right up to try chardonnay in his honor.

Another fantastic year at the Maryland Wine Festival. Is it really 365 days until the next?


1 comment:

KatieKat08 said...

Fun fact: I worked at St. Michael's Winery in college!