Wednesday, August 10, 2011

ball game of love


Poppy, 1935-2011

So many good memories. I remember being thirteen and asking my grandfather what his favorite store was. "Giant Eagle!" he replied. Of course, the grocery store would be his answer. Food shopping is a gene that runs through the males on my father's side - my grandfather loved grocery shopping, my uncle and father both love grocery shopping. I now tell my two brothers they don't stand a chance fighting that one.

Every Thanksgiving there would be a football brawl between my uncle and my dad (gizzards v. rams, turkey bowl). My grandfather would wear his striped referee shirt and run around blowing the whistle at this and at that. I would sit on the sidelines, in the freezing cold, and wait for the after-picnic to start. Then my siblings and I would hold pretzel rods as if we were smoking cigars like my dad, uncle, and grandfather did.

I remember the ridiculous dance he would always do to Bob Seger's Old Time Rock n Roll. Every time I hear that song I think of him. And macadamia nut cookies - for lunch at my grandparent's house it was always cold-cuts on sandwiches and macadamia nut cookies.

We all had a toast of his favorite drink, chardonnay, to him last night on the beach. He is now riding his tractor, mowing the giant lawn in the sky, cigar in hand.

No comments: