Sunday, May 01, 2011

Wagonhouse Winery

Here we go. The last two wineries of the NJ Passport were crossed off this weekend. The passport is done, finished, selesai, terminado, finis, what have you. It's over. Finally.

As I blog here today, I have twelve bottles of red wine on my shelf. In my fridge, I have four bottles of white wine. I'm currently drinking water.

No more wine - for awhile* anyway. (Thankfully, now I'm on untappd - so I can log the beer!).
*awhile = probably until Wineaux Wednesday. Hey, I like my sushi with some pinot gris.

Anyway, back to the weekend. Jonaid and I first visited Wagonhouse Winery on Saturday afternoon. This one was evasive because the actual vineyard is not open to the public; tastings are held at the local Grasso Girls Farm Market, which is only open seasonally. I hadn't known the market closed in October, so I had to wait until its late April reopening to check this one off. The winery website offers off-season private tastings, but when I called/left a message/emailed in November I did not get a response. We swung in the Mullica Hill stand to see what they had to offer.


Unfortunately, the majority of the wines were either sold out or not on site. We tried most of what they had, which wasn't many. The tasting was free.

Cabernet Sauvignon - This one burned going down.
Chardonnay - Definitely can taste apple and pear in this one. It has a very acidic aroma.
Jersey Girl - Absolutely tastes like a creamsicle. Too syrupy for my tastes, but Jonaid enjoyed it.
Ornery Apple - A delicious apple wine that could be easily warmed during the holidays.
Shore Thing - did not try

And that was it. Out of eighteen wines on their list, they had five, three of which were classified as sweet wines, which I'm just not a huge fan of.

It was a very quick tasting, and unique in the fact that as we were sipping, other farm stand customers were pulling in and out, purchasing cucumbers and asparagus and whatever they needed, right along side of us. We too picked up some apple butter before we left.


Anyway, this was by far the quickest tasting we had - largely due to limited variety, and partially because the woman working was primarily for the farm stand and did not know much of the wine. But the hours here are great. I called in advance and learned the tastings are open when the market is open - so as early as 8am. Good Morning Sun & Good Morning Vino! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

No comments: