Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Vibram Five Fingers

The five fingers. I was lucky enough to get a pair last November for my birthday (thanks Ma!).

Please ignore my pasty whiteness.

I have to give 100% of the credit to Dr. Ali for suggesting them. If she hadn't shown them to me, I wouldn't have seen them until about a week ago, where I spotted a pair on a billboard. Well, not the Vibrams. The copycat Filas - which are cheaper and likely just as good - are on the billboard.

I love them.

Other people stare. I wore them to the grocery store once. That was fun.

One guy came up to me and asked me about them. Kids pointed and laughed -- suddenly, it was like I was in sixth grade all over again.

I did about 75% of my usual workout in them. The next day, I was sore. My calves were tight.

Gravel is painful. I like pavement and grass. You feel every stick, every part of the ground underneath you. For some reason, it just works for me. A lot of my critics say their knees couldn't handle the stress of the impact. It's true, there's no forgiveness there.

I haven't tried cleaning them yet, but their instructions say you can toss them in the washing machine (no dryer!), so I'll give that a go. I did buy a couple of pairs of toe-socks to wear with them. Sometimes, my toes don't want to cooperate and go into the shoes. That takes some fenangling.

PS. I'm not a runner. I'm a casual jogger, in my spare time. These make me want to run. I have a pair of neon yellow & pink Nikes that a friend once told me, "If I had shoes like that - I'd run every day just to wear them." It's like that.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Glad you got to use your new 'shoes!' You will become a runner soon. I love that you just wear them in public!

Anonymous said...

Helpful information. Fortunate me I discovered your web site
accidentally, and I'm shocked why this twist of fate didn't happened earlier!

I bookmarked it.

Here is my weblog; orquesta atraccion