Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Green Beer Experiment

So it's St. Patrick's day, right. I get epically excited about all things green. Ex, green bagels.


Or, green pizza dough at the Roman Inn at Gettysburg. And I'll even dress up as a leprochaun by a rainbow with a pot of gold bud light (ad campaign anyone?).


Maybe Oktoberfest green leiderhosen can double for leprochaun pants?? Anyway that's beyond the point. The real treat is green beverages -- but the minty grasshoppers aren't exactly as Irish as a nice pint. After two years of no luck with finding a green beer, in 2k10 I decided to make my own green beer with food dye.


Although effective, the oral consequences were less than stellar.


So my boyfriend attempts an appeasement by dropping an m&m in my beer. A peanut M&M. The beer takes the food coloring out and voila - green beer without the after effect of a dyed tongue.

This weekend was yet another year of no bars with green beer, so the girls and I decided to do some experimentation.

The beers were slightly larger than usual, so two m&ms were needed. It's critical to use peanut m&ms because of (a) optimal surface area gives more food coloring (b) minimal chocolate being added to beverage and (c) who doesn't like beer and peanuts? Disclaimer - if you are allergic to peanuts, do not conduct this experiment.

M&Ms were added to a light beer (note on the beer spectrum coors is lighter than bud, but only Miller Light was on tap, so we went with that).


Fizz fizz fizz & lots of head later - a green beer. Two green peanut m&ms were used for Kate's & my beer (respective beers, c'mon now, we're professionals. We don't share that nonsense).



Jess decided to go for a deeper shade - one green m&m and one blue.


Monica had a medium green - two green m&ms, one blue, and a side of creeper Liz:


The only side effects were that at the very last swallow as a mild chocolate flavor. But it was a nice finish and no Hulk mouth. Another good trick is - change the holiday, change the m&m color. A red beer would look great on V-day, an Orange on Halloween. Or even just do it to match your outfit.

So now there's pumpkin beers on Halloween... Candy Cane Scroogedrivers at Christmas... What's next? Earth day??? Bring it & drink up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just told my roommates how jealous I am of your beer ingenuity. They told me to stop whining and just use said ingenious ideas and tell them about it. Tomorrow: peanut M&Ms and beer test 1.
Barson

carinne said...

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME WITHOUT PROPER EYEWARE

but yeah let me know how it goes otherwise.

Anonymous said...

My convenience store was out of peanut M&Ms!!! Noooo!!! Maybe everyone here reads your blog too. On beer one of the day. Appropriately a Celtic Ale by Harpoon. Cheers!