Thursday, January 27, 2011

18" This Time

The alarm goes off on a snowy Thursday. The kid inside me still is excited to wake up (do we have a delay? Is school canceled?). Armed with a cup of coffee I flip on the news to see the damage. 18". Respectable. Work got 15". Should I attempt to go in? Or just start playing beer pong with my snowman? 


Eventually I work up the determination to make use of the shovel. Something about being outside with the snow in the early morning is very peaceful. My neighbors slowly wake up, greeting one another with the required awe. "What do you think of all of this?" They say, each admiring their own mountain. "That was quite a storm," one will say. "Not worse than last year," another will say. And we'll do it all over again next year.

A driveway is not measured by how many cars fit in it but rather how long it takes to shovel. It is a slow, painstaking process where you feel muscles you didn't know you had. Thank goodness this workout fell on GTL Jerzday. A lot of time passes with time to think- hmm, is it uncanny that Steve Jobs takes a leave from Apple just as the search for a Regis Philbin replacement begins? Thoughts run through the cold air as three people tackled my driveway in an hour and a half. I was by far the weakest link.

This probably isn't even half of the driveway.

Anyway, bring it on snow. This is what winter is all about. 

1 comment:

Allie said...

I absolutely love shoveling snow! I find it so peaceful and nice. Plug in my iPod and I could be out there for hours and it not bother me. We only got like 4", so not close to you

Did you make it to work then??