Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Silver Decoy

It was 10-10-10, the sun was shinin', and the mood headed towards the winin'. On a gorgeous fall day, Jonaid and I continued the winery escapades to Silver Decoy in East Windsor.



In the spring we tried to find this winery, but my google-maps address led us to a warehouse that did not resemble a vineyard by any means. This time we used the address listed in the passport and the GPS led us right to it.



Pulling up the rocky path we turned into the winery. Inside was a shuffleboard game which two boys enjoyed. Animal heads were mounted on the walls along with a flat screen TV playing the Giants game. Two barrel tables were in the center; there was a couch in the bathroom. If it hadn't been for the giant wine rack it would have felt like a well-kept man cave.



Russ, aka 'Czar' was our wine host. With a big grin he greeted us and began the tasting. He asked us what we normally drink, and then started our tasting based on that. Once he got a response from our first glass (the chambourcin) he again adjusted - I got something sweeter, Jonaid kept getting the dry reds. Continually through the tasting, he changed what we next drank based on our reply.


There is no charge for the tasting and you can try as many wines as you want.  All of the grapes are grown in NJ; all but the Ugly Duckling White are grown on site.

White Wine
Traminette - One of the best selling, but traminettes have had a bad rap with me lately. Slightly remnant of a chardonnay, it is tasty, and as Russ said, "very good for you".
Pinot Grigio - did not try
Stainless Steel Chard - Crisp and clean; Jonaid preferred this over the oak.
Oak-Aged Chardonnay - Flavorful and oaky; I preferred this over the stainless steel
Viogner - did not try

With all of the mounted animal decor and the name of "Silver Decoy" Jonaid was curious if the winery had hunting themes behind it. Russ explained that while most of the founders do hunt, the name is a bit more complicated. "When e-mail first came out I was trying to think of an email name," he explained. "My friends joke I am the 'silver fox' when I hunt, so I tried that. It was taken, so my wife suggested Silver Decoy, and it worked. When we were establishing the winery, we were throwing around a number of names- Windsor Winery, nah, when the email got suggested. All agreed, and the rest is history."

Red Wine
Chambourcin - To me this was bitter and acidic; to Jonaid the sharp taste was agreeable. In the end Jonaid ended up getting a glass of this, and later a bottle.
Marechel Foch - This is the full name of a grape typically abbreviated to simply "foch", which is after French WWI veteran Ferdinand Foch. Usually this grape is used to make a very sweet wine which gives it a bad reputation. Jonaid tried and reviewed it as "good, but the chambourcin is better."
Merlot - Very smooth and relaxing. I ended up getting a glass of this to enjoy on the patio.
Cabernet Franc - This is Russ's favorite. Frequently when he is going somewhere he'll bring a bottle and then open it there because he knows he will enjoy it. It has a heavy berry smell and is very flavorful.
Baby Retriever - 1/2 Syrah and 1/2 Cab Franc. I'm wondering now why there isn't a full Syrah bottle. While this was good, there was a lot of flavor here that was a bit overwhelming.
Retriever - 92% Sangiovese and 8% Merlot. Both Jonaid and I enjoyed this better than the Baby Retriever. It almost had a peppery taste to it, but the Sangiovese was softened by the merlot.

At this point Russ announced, "Jimmy Buffet is in the house!" and over the sound system came Cheeseburger in Paradise.

On The Sweeter Side
Sunrise Blush - Dryer than I was expecting with a lot of flavor. The aroma has hints of citrus and at $10 a bottle this makes a good summertime pick.
Ugly Duckling White - A blend that includes the only grape not grown on site, albeit still in NJ. A standard white that easily pleases the masses.
Ugly Duckling Red - Served cold. Not too sweet; actually quite refreshing. Likely one of those wines you'd pour over ice (a strange trend I've seen only in NJ).
Blueberry - did not try

The ugly duckling bottles have labels that mimic this sign:


Eight ducks for each of the founders. These labels looked pretty sharp, although Russ admitted at first he wasn't a fan. "Who wants the ugly duck?" He said.
"But it becomes a swan," Jonaid countered.
"True, and we sell a lot of this. It swans when you open it." Eight ducks- each founder with nicknames like Bull, Boots, Kansas, and others. Russ's nickname is Czar, which offers him "Czar Power, not to be confused with Star Power," he explained. Five of the original eight are remaining in the endeavor.

As we finished the tasting Russ invited us to tour the grounds and to try some of the grapes. We headed outside and each row of vines was well labeled. The Cabernet Franc was in full force; we sauntered over and picked a grape which were absolutely delicious. Russ explained they do cut grapes from the vines so as to allow the quality to be higher. More grapes on a vine mean higher quantity but quality is sacrificed.


Heading out to the outside patio, we sat and enjoyed the view.


Jonaid's top wineries, now that we've been to 1/3 of them, are Hopewell and Silver Decoy. I must say I agree and both of those places I would (and have) take friends and family.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's truly a great and helpful piece of info. I'm glad that you just
shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this.
Thank you for sharing.

Feel free to visit my webpage raspberry ketones

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here!

Good luck for the next!

Feel free to surf to my website; pure green coffee

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Nonetheless, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be
book-marking and checking back frequently!

My blog :: red raspberry

Anonymous said...

I just could not go away your web site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information
an individual supply on your visitors? Is going to be again steadily to check out new posts

My website - whitening process

Anonymous said...

whoah this weblog is fantastic i like studying your posts.
Keep up the good work! You know, a lot of persons are searching around for this information, you can help them greatly.


My web site; moringa side effects

Anonymous said...

Hello there, I do believe your website may be having internet browser compatibility problems.

Whenever I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however
when opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues.

I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other than that, excellent site!


Look into my blog :: renowned doctor reveals what works for weight loss

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different page and thought I might
check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to checking out your web page repeatedly.

Look into my page ... garcinia efeitos colaterais

Anonymous said...

Can уou tell us mοгe about this?

I'd love to find out some additional information.

Feel free to visit my homepage :: pure green coffee bean extract 800mg

Anonymous said...

Excellent wау of telling, and nice paragraph to obtain data about my presentation focus, which i am going to dеlіver in unіvеrsity.



Мy homepаge: hunterexpert.ru

Anonymous said...

Vеry гapidlу this web sіte will be famous
among all blog vieweгs, due tο it's nice content

Stop by my page ... raspberry ketone diet

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyοne else еxρеriencіng prοblems with the piсturеѕ on this blοg
loаding? I'm trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it's thе blog.
Аny feedbaсk would be greatly apρreсіated.


Here is mу homeρage; raspberry ketone reviews forum

Anonymous said...

Aѕking quеstions are trulу good thіng if you arе not understanding
anуthing entiгely, except thіs ρaragгаρh pгovideѕ good underѕtanding yet.


my wеb site :: pure raѕpberry κetonе gnc ()

Anonymous said...

Right away I am gοing awaу to dο my breаkfast,
aftеr having my breakfast сomіng over again to
rеad οther news.

Chеck out mу homepage; raspberry ketone

Anonymous said...

Mаgnifіcent goοds from уou, mаn.
I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just too excellent. I really like what you've acquireԁ herе, certainly lіκe whаt you're stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful website.

My site ... raspberry ketone lean

Anonymous said...

helpful information Also check if you have a cross-breed with this type of dog as you may find the insurance will not cover you for this either.
They will never complain that you don't have the energy for that walk you promised them the day before, or the bath they so desperately need.