Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Unionville Vineyards

A wrong turn, multiple farms, a gravel road, and ten minutes after our previous winery we reached Unionville Vineyards. Quite a few cars were parked despite the weather, and then we noticed the tents.

"What's going on?" I asked the woman in neon green at the registration tent.
"It's a dog walk. Proceeds benefit those whose homes have been foreclosed and they may have to give up their pet due to financial hardship." She represented the Coalition for Animals.
At this instant, I was again regretting I didn't have a dog. Hopefully in the near future.


Unionville Vineyards is on farmlands and would be stunning regardless of the time of year. Even in the rain, it was beautiful.


The barn is the tasting room. Upstairs are the wines; downstairs are the winemaking tools, including the winelab. Sciencey. (Please notice and pay homage to the pipettes! I wonder if my resume is robust enough!)



For $5 you can try five wines, but can't keep the glass. For $10 you can include the "premium wines" on the back page. $10 is a bit hefty, so Jonaid and I stuck with the $5 tasting.


Linda was our WP and was very honest about the wines, which was appreciated.

"The George Series" - Blends made to honor the forefathers of the country, named after George Washington. The labels of this series silhouette George Washington.
Lafayette Pride - A "dry rose" that is a nice switch from the usual sweet roses that I have encountered lately. It's light, which is nice on hot days, and at $12 a bottle, it's a great deal.
Revolutionary Red - A "soft dry red" whose name reminded me of the nomenclature of the wines at Adams County due to the war theme. 7 grapes go into this, but it was a little overdone for me. Too much going on to be able to enjoy it.
Fields of Fire - "Sweet Blush" that was Linda's favorite. Sweet indeed but I was glad to find it wasn't simply like juice and had some definition to it.
Heritage White - "Semi-Sweet White" did not try

"The Fox Series" - The fox is a local symbol and the bottles here silhouette the fox.
Chardonnay - Only just okay. The flavor is quickly lost here.
Pinot Grigio - Enjoyed it far more than the chardonnay. I wonder if it was served at a lower temperature than normal because it felt like ice, and it was fantastic. Flavorful and refreshing.
Dry Reisling - Also good but Reislings have not been hitting my taste buds lately. Jonaid liked it but for me it just wasn't unique. Linda attempted to get us to try the sweeter Reisling after this, but I decided not to waste a taste on it.
Pinot Noir - Very tasty. I do love my Pinot Noirs. Later on I also tried the Premium Pinot Noir ($36/bottle) which, although good, is not justified against this $16 bottle. I enjoyed this immensely- dark with a flavor that lingers and my mouth felt like warmth.
Merlot - It seems contradictory to say this wine is both tasty and bland. I enjoyed it while it sipping but again, just not memorable.
Cabernet Sauvignon - Jonaid commented the cab is "mellow". "Mellow? Can I say that?" He asked, and I laughed and explained whatever you think is acceptable. He later clarified that it was very smooth and relaxing.
The Silver Fox - This smells like grass. Linda gave me a weird look when I said that, but then Jonaid took a whiff and agreed. "Like a freshly mowed lawn," I explained. "It's not bad, it's actually very calming." Despite the unique smell, it tasted fantastic.
Reisling - Did not try

Premium Wines - there are eight wines on this list but I only tried the Mountain Road by buying a glass of it for $6. It is a $36 bottle of Pinot Noir, and while very good, just doesn't cover the gap between the $16 bottle of Pinot. I can't justify that extra $20. Instead of that cost, I'd recommend buying the $16 pinot, get a $12 bottle of Lafayette for a friend, and use the remaining eight on some cheese for a ravishingly good afternoon (said with a pompous European accent). Included in the premium tasting are three blends, two dessert wines (one is a port), two chardonnays, and the Pinot. Most bottles of wine on the Premium lists are over $25, and one is as high as $46.



I realized after we left I hadn't seen a single grape vine. There was a lot of processing equipment but I didn't recall any actual grapes. Perhaps they were blocked by the tents. Regardless of the ghost grapes it was still a nice relaxing tour on a rainy Sunday. Jonaid argued that it was unfair of us to visit wineries when the weather was so gross; but I disagree. There is a wine for every climate.


Until next week!

No comments: